Tuesday, June 16, 2020

the Top 10 Metal Albums of 2020 ...so far

`



The year is half way gone. So far it has been a very metal year. Some of you have been running scared and hate to think of this as metal, but in doing so proved how metal you are not .  Death, destruction, looming apocalypse, mass anger and chaos... all very metal. I guess we see who has not been paying attention to lyrics as they are now hiding under their beds. Who knows if  music industry is going to recover. Arest of humanity and wiped from the dying earth. Accepting this fact is metal, It has been a fun run guys . But now let us move onto why you clicked . These albums are ranked in order of how much I have listened to them.

You are crying about an album you think I have missed. Chances are unless it sucked really bad  and I could not get through more than a song I reviewed it and was not all that impressed. I have albums coming out in August in my in-box already so I am way ahead of the curve, so this might be more prophetic of the year's best than in years before, considering how  bands can not tour to support releases , many are being delayed .  Who knows if King Diamond is going to come out ? So is this as good as 2020 is going to get ? I think not just in terms of music the answer is yes. Half of you might kill yourselves after what is going to happen in November, If you follow me on social media you know I am getting my transmissions from the aliens which are now even clearer since I am off my meds , but I have been pretty spot on in my predictions so far. It pays to be crazy these days.










10- Temple of the Void- "the World That Was" 

 So densely heavy, this might be a flawless album in it's execution, not something I pop in for casual listening or getting much air time walking to the gym as it can be a lot for my ears to swallow, but never the less deserves mention here. To their credit they draw from more than your typical death doom influences.


 https://abysmalhymns.blogspot.com/2020/03/temple-of-void-world-that-was.html








9- Testament - "Titans of Creation"


 It goes to show you never know what is going to come out , as they first few listens to this album and I would have assumed it was going to dominate the year. While it is impressive that this late in their career the band continues to put out shit that is this good, the albums that ranked higher so far made me want to listen to them more. Perhaps it will grow on me and fare better by the end of the year, but considering how much music I ingest on a daily, number 9 on any list is impressive.


 https://abysmalhymns.blogspot.com/2020/03/testament-titans-of-creation.html







8-Havok- "V"


I dod not cover much thrash, as I shared my thoughts on the best of it back in high school, most of the revivalists of this genre, missed out the first go round and I have heard it done better by bands who cared about songs. These guys prove an exception to the rule as they care about songs, and write songs that are fitting of the time we live.



https://abysmalhymns.blogspot.com/2020/05/havok-v.html








 7-Witchskull - "A Driftwood Cross" 

 This is an album that has clawed it's way up the list after repeat listens. Only moderate Sabbath worship that is balanced out by a grungey sound that is all their own. More upbeat that most doom, but the riffs are hard to argue with.

https://abysmalhymns.blogspot.com/2020/04/witchskull-driftwood-cross.html









6-(16) - "Dream Squasher" 

These Volatile sludge merchants are back and angry as ever. These guys are the brand of sludge more
closely aligned with noise rock than doom. You can  also hear some hard core influence in their more explosive moments. I like the effects on the vocals . Lyrically it reminds me of the Melvins in their chaotic musings


https://abysmalhymns.blogspot.com/2020/05/16-dream-squasher.html








5-Umbra Vitae- " Sahdow of Life" 


 Jacob from Converge decided to put together a death metal band so he enlisted  guitarists from Hatebreed and the Red Chord, along with the ex- drummer from Job For a Cowboy and the bassist from the Red Chord. It's not pure death metal. The drummer is the only one from a dyed in the wool death metal band as the Red Chord brought other elements into play. This works in the band's favor


 https://abysmalhymns.blogspot.com/2020/05/umbra-vitae-shadow-of-life.html







4- Demons & Wizards - "III" 

My bad, I have never given this band the shot they deserve. They not only proved themselves with this come back album, but secure themselves threirthrone at the peak of the genre. Most power metal is not dark enough , so these guys show you how it can be done. https://abysmalhymns.blogspot.com/2020/02/demons-wizards-iii.html








3- Paradise Lost - "Obsidian"

This album finds the band raising the bar on themselves  and telling their "Medusa" album to hold their beer. More doom paced than death metal. It is not as heavy as "Medusa" , but darker and more melodic with the song writing  totally blowing my mind. Getting more gothed out is certainly a good way to sell me on it.


 https://abysmalhymns.blogspot.com/2020/05/paradise-lost-obsidian.html br /







2-Witnessess-"Doom II"

 Best described as progressive doom, this album is not afraid to go somewhere metal often does not venture.Often thanks to the highly polished and evocative vocals. There is little bong worship going on here and even less worship of Black Sabbath. Yeah the songs are long and winding but still keep you drawn into them and continue to grow on you, so much so that it edged out Paradise Lost.


 https://abysmalhymns.blogspot.com/2020/05/witnesses-doom-ii.html








1-Code Orange- "Underneath" 


 No they did not turn into an industrial band. Yes there are more electronic influences, but the kick in the death they deliever with the heavy as hell guitar sound is still their , just done with more melody in places and darkly bleaker. A tremendous dynamic range to the songwriting finds the band stepping up once more to the next level

https://abysmalhymns.blogspot.com/2020/03/code-orange-underneath.html <

No comments:

Post a Comment