Monday, June 22, 2020

Mushroomhead :" A Wonderful Life"






The first hurdle I had to get past with this band was the idea they are just a rip off of Slipknot. This is still not a 100 percent off base assumption, but listening to them I can hear the difference and this band's distinct personality. The other issue was the  two vocalists thing is something I havea hard tme accepting as I am of the mind set why not get a vocalist that can do both. Now where I can accept this is with KMFDM, as one is male the other female. That is acceptable. Here they have three, having added their female vocalist Jackie LaPonza, who has been touring with the band to the permenant line up. I am fine with this.  I know there have been some line up changes so this is not going to be much of a sticking point for me as I had not given much of their previous work a listen until last night, from what I have heard it sounds like their new singer has a wider range as is better than their previous singer whose voice was too similar to their gravelly rapper singer.




I would say there are more overt goth / industrial influence that Slipknot and they might be influenced by Coal Chamber more than Slipknot. The slight circus feel to "What a Shame" some weight to this. This first four songs are all very well written and catchy.I think LaPonza, is on of their strengths as a band . Her  voice adds a soulful blues vibe not unlike Maria from In This Moment. "Pulse" has more of a radio rock feel, with Jackie's vocals proving more accessible. A similar vibe can be felt on the more rapped verses of "Carry On".  I can understand where long time fans might find this departure from their heavier nu-metal fare thinking this is a sell out , and I guess in some ways it is, though unsure what they are selling out to , not sure this is getting mainstream radio air play. I do know these songs are refined and well done, so that is an improvement in their over all musical quality and sheds some of the nu-metal tropes.

At 16 songs this is a double album. I can hear Faith No More influence on "the Time Has Come", not as bad as a band like 12 Foor Ninja pulls from. After some almost power ballad like moments they get more aggressive on " I am the One". These more common "Last Cup of Sorrow" moments do not begin to wear on me until "the Flood". The it is not bad , but I already own all the Faith No More albums, and the bark of the drill sargent vocals are not going to add or distract from this. With 16 songs I think they could have trimmed some fat and given us 11 great songs. I am glad Jackie returns on " When the End Begins" even if it is more of a ballad. I do not think this more melodic direction would have worked with their old singer. After a couple interludes one dramatic choral the other instrumental they return with what I am guessing is their more standard formula for rocking that should please long time fans .  I will give this a 9 due to the Faith No More power ballad drag in places, but over all impressive. As far as nu metal goes this has transcended the genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment