Saturday, April 16, 2022

Ibaraki : "Rashomon"

 






Matt from Trivium and Emperor mastermind Ihsahn  collaborated on this album. It is not secret I am more into the Ihsahn side of this equation, which is the half brining more of a progressive side to thing, Trivium just strikes me as Sirrus radio ready mainstream metal. The songs are well written, though not as black metal as press buzzing about this album might lead you to believe.  Things get heavier on the second song, though I am not really blown away by it as when it comes to metal these days this just sounds like a more polished and better version of what is already out there. I would prefer a Ihsahn solo album, the transitions from clean vocals and the typical screaming, is somewhat formulaic. The more screamed vocals even more so, they have almost a more hard-core cadence to them. 

The more melodic "Jigoku Dayu" is an improvement, though I cannot say even in this direction I am not finding my opinion of Matt Heafy swayed. Rightfully so as the song winds up where I assumed it would. He is effective at doing what he set out to do here, what he set to do just is not very original.  It doesn't feel like it flows as well on "Tamashii" . Nergal guests on "Akumu" which is heavier and more focused but offers little surprises. When it's not circling the same angry stomping grounds there are some cool guitar passages on "Komorebi". "Ronin" which features the vocals of  Gerad Way from My Chemical Romance, goes from an almost power metal vocal dramatic to Way's harsher black metal vocals, when people online were surprised by this , it is obvious they did not pay attention to My Chemical Romance's first album.

 Is Heafy is more than just just a decent guitarist? Yes. Does he do anything original ? Not really. Sure things get more progressive by the end of the song , but this is clearly one of those sections that is Ihsahns's doing. The plus side is when Ihsahn makes his presence known it is very tangible, I just wish there was more of that.  Overall I like this more than I would a Trivium album, but not as much as an Emperor one, things sound great, and his singing has improved over the years, but not the most original thing, as even the more melodic parts feel like they are being barrowed from Opeth so i will give this album an 8. 

  


6.9


No comments:

Post a Comment