Thursday, July 9, 2020

We Chose Forever : "True Love"






It is easy to sound like a broken record. I hear bands that all sound the same in any particular genre. Then I try to either reword a review so it does not feel like I am not writing " I will not sound like Joy Division" one hundred times on the chalk board. When I find a band that does not bring this on it is a welcome repreive. Post -punk tends to be based around that chalk board punishment. I under stand certain core elements being in place. This band from Philly does as well. The genre is rooted in an era so recreating that time period seems to be one focal point. They are able to dial in that sound without being to tied with the conventions that come with it. There are the drab baritone vocals , but here is where they are not satisfied with remaining complacent.

They go beyond the tropes of offer things like groove. I also feel like Interpol is a bigger influence on these guys than Joy Division. This is fine with me as Interpol is not as dark as they used to be these days.The higher  vocals at the end of "Disconnected , Just Hold the line" Help break things up. As do the female vocals lending into the more angular groove of "Collapse".  Aside from guitar tones and some of the atmosphere there is nothing I would call death rock or goth. The vocals emote more on this song to come closer , but the are still tempered with a more indie rock indifference. They get more aggressive , yet not going full on punk with " We are Not What We Have Become" .

They kept up this sonic heft going into " Carly" , but relax on the mood. The vocals are more introspective. They are also further back in the mix. They build it back up working off the throb. The only thing that is wrong with this album is there is not enough of it. I will give this album a 9.5, one of the best post punk efforts I have heard this year and the gods know we need as much dark music as we can get this year. If you like post punk this is a must.





No comments:

Post a Comment