Monday, July 20, 2020

Anal Kitties : "Asylum Probe"







Hungry for new industrial music I went hunting on Bandcamp. Sometimes the problem this poses is it can be more lo-fi than I like as it provides an influx of 'projects" being pumped out in bed rooms and you have to sort through a great deal of trash to find them gems. Two songs in and I am not sure which side of the fence this album fall.It is more lo-fi than I normally go for, but this guy has done a pretty good job making the most of what he has to work with. It is a very early Skinny Puppy sound , so far without guitars. The vocals are less haunting than Ogre. More chanted. Alien Sex Feind might also be a fair point of reference as to where this is heading. I often complain about bands focusing more on sounds than songs these days. This might also be a fair assesment of what is going on here until we get to "Shackles". Thanks to the bass line propelling it, there is more direction amid the noise and chaos.

The place where industrial spawned from punk is tapped into on "Labyrinth". This might be the best song so far. He continues to expand upon the more melodic musical memories of 90s industrial on "Girlfriend's Grave" that expands into more of a Wax Trax sound. Yes this album is dark. The songs can become hit or miss right around "You're Inside" . I do like the ominous lurking quality of "Nightmare" . Not something I would listen to in shuffle mode, but good mood music. Noise is delived even more heavilly into on "Smashed Castle" this causes the vocals to come across as just another texture. This project could possibly make a pretty decent death rock album based on "Stapled Shut" the bass tone is certainly nailed down .

"Skull" closes the album with an emphasis on atmosphere. To me this is more important than just hammering at me with a bunch of drum machines like some bands used to do. This was a solid album, that takes me back. It was easy to leave on and press play. Some of it was a little noisy so I will give it an 8.5, if you miss old Skinny Puppy , check this one out.





No comments:

Post a Comment