Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Primitive Man : "Immersion"





To their credit these guys continue to evolve. The first time I heard them was on their 2013 album "Scorn". They struck me as a sludge band that was rough around the edges. They have gone past the Eyehategod mark and now digging into death doom. Dissonant and ugly death doom, but that is what is feel like. It is bleak , but does not have the mournful sense of doom.The vocals are in a lower almost gurgled death growl. They get more atmospheric and less oppressive for the second song. These guys are so heavy, it often feels like they are throwing sounds at you rather than trying to write a song that you will want to listen to again. Here is some ear torture, I hope you like droning noise with a growl to it.

By the third song I am lost It seems like it is the previous song. At this point I have given up on trying to review this like an album and I am going to just reate my experience listening to it since there are no real musical properties to give my views on. There are two minutes and twent seconds of annoying nosie, that I went back and listened to to make sure I have not missed any musical elements. There are none. This is just an interlude. The squeal at you with more feed back before flogging you with distortion and calling it "Foul" aside from the second song this comes closest to being a song if you consider slaps of distortion in your face along with howling at you a song. The drummer is not really doing shit but beating along to something so slow anyone could to it if they can count to three. Some higher notes to occur along with other crashing noises.

The drummer is required to do a little more work on the last sound exploration. It rumbles like the others things of this nature they have done. The vocal are just like all the other times they do this . Not dynamics. No melodies . Anti melodic. Is it heavy, sure. When reviewing the Kruelty album I said this is the heaviest album of the year as if it is heavier than this you are not going to want to listen to . That prophecy is coming true. I will give this album a 5. It only scored that high because I was ok with the second song and the first one was decent. It is mindlessly heavy.


No comments:

Post a Comment