Monday, July 6, 2020

Null : "Entity"







Iceland is known for black metal. Some punk comes from the region as well, but most of the Icelandic band's I have covered are black metal. This band is comprised of musicians from Black Metal bands. Notable one like Mispyrming and Carpe Noctem. They are instead playing doom. Ok perhaps blackened doom. The first song however leads in with clean vocals before the snarled one come in. There is a black metal explosion mid way into the song, but I think they are intending to make doom they just revert black to their natrual state. Even way this is blended strikes me as cooler than their normal projects. The second song is slowed down but works off a similar sound that is played with a more deliberate throb. I thought it was the same song since the sounds are of the same color.

My hope for this album is that  they change some touch and add sonic nuances . They gained my attention and being monochrome is the way to lose it.They third song still embraces the anguish. The cold angular melodies have more in common with depressive black metal. I have alays asserted their is a place where depressive black metal meets doom and this is an example. The sonics of this sonng compensate where perhaps drone overtakes composition. It reminds me of Urfaust is many ways, The sung vocals and how they are in a baritone moan. The tormented vocals have become more dominant as the album progressed. Their are some unison chants that prove they can make harser vocals more deliberate. The depressive atmospere continues to shroud their sound on "(em) Pathetic" . I often bring up the egregore of a certain area when it comes to sounds. Their are certain regions where climate , lifestyle and mood influence the sound. Think of it as nature vs nurture.  I think the cold coastal vibes of Iceland are all over this.

I am all about the sound they summon, but as you know my gripe can be sound vs song. Any one can produced a sound with the right equipment dialed in the correct way with a producer versed in such a sound., Songs on the other hand are what comes from the inside. This is where the funk can not be faked.They begin to gain energy with which comes the tremolo picked stylings of their black metal pasts. We are back to more wailing and gnashing of teeth for the final song. I will give this album a 9, I need to give it a few more listens . While it does have some familar elements , overall it feels like it's own thing which in heavy music these days is becoming rarer.





No comments:

Post a Comment