Saturday, July 4, 2020

Inter Arma : "Garbers Days Revisited"



They first tackle Ministry's "Scarecrow".  They take a more sludgey approach, though the song was already half way there. The biggests difference is the vocals. They are harsher here. They do not have the same effects on them that Al used. Vocally the rest of the album, should be more challenging , so if they are going to snarl there way through the songs, then I might get bored. This version is much closer to the orginal than I expected. The do used sung vocals going into " Southern Man". They are lower than Neil Young's vocal. They kick in and things get real stompy . There is a blackened nastiness to the verse when they get going. I think I like this better than the Ministry cover , due to the fact they make it more their own. The guitar tone gets kinda shitty for their cover of "Hard Times" by the Cro-mags. The drummer kills it, but that is about it.

"March of the Pigs " is next. Listening to their music I would not get that they are into industrial. They take the electronic elements. It feel more likea noise rock rampage. Trent Reznor has nothing to worry about when it gets the the 'doesn't it make you feel better..." part the vocal are kinda pitchy. They go more raging black metalih, note the ish. It is more like blackened sludge, for the Husker Du cover. Husker Du's early stuff was more punk, so this is a far treatment of it. I think I prefer "Hard Times" over this though. Given the black metal influence I am hearing on this album, perhaps more so than their original work, it is not surprising they cover Venom's "In League With Satan". There is a more punk thing to it. Sounds more like High on Fire. They do a pretty decent job with it.

They break out their proper vocal cords for the cover of " Running Down a Dream" . The vocals are lower than Tom Petty, almost a rock a billy like croon to them. This tips the scales positivly for this song.  They cose the album with the most ambitious song Prince's "Purple Rain". I know they released this first, but I did not hear it. I had the most reservations for this one as the demanding vocal. They only take it half way seriously. The guitar solos they take seriously. The vocals not so much, though he does hit a couple falsetto notes at the end. Does he nail it all the way like Prince? No but you gotta take what you get and I would have been disappointed if he did not try at all/ I will give this one an 8.5. Some of these were a little rough , but it does show a secret side to the bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment