Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Necrot : 'Mortal"





They said they are certain that this time they have made an album that is going to be regarded as a classic in the genre. They might be a little full of themselves . Very Entombed influenced. The first two songs are pretty monochrome. They have an accent here and there , I think they are putting to much emphasis on steam rolling you with speed. It becomes an example of chasing a sound that compromises writing songs. If your songs do not stand out among one another than how are they going to stand out among the songs of other bands in a genre. The whole album eventually went by in a blur with no noteworthy changes to make me look up from the computer and tune back in. Yes they are skilled musicans who are good at what they do. What they do is not that orginal this time around. The vocals stay in the same guttural rasp. They do not blast at you the whole time, but the labyrinth of riffs they hit you with becomes on dense mass without nuance.

I had to go back an listen to "Asleep Forever" a 3rd time before it took on a clearer indentity. The riffs are more fleet of finger than your typical Entombed impersonation. Though they have channeled a very deep dense sound that keeps them on the Left hand path. The vocals have begun to bore the ever loving shit out of me at this point. Is their drummer totally killer ? Yes, but he is a death metal drummer that is the job requirment. It is not until the last song that they lock into a groove that makes me take notice. You can hear where even these guys draw from some thrash roots on "Sinister Will". It is good enough for what it is , but it is very clear these guys do only one thing, with one dimension to it.

Tey have no intention of relenting on this sonic steam rollering. Now it has become a buzzing blur of distortion that is not broken up at all until the last song which I mentioned earlier is the first time over the course of this album that they give me a groove that will keep my attention. I listen to a ton of death metal.. I just did an entire month dedicated to it so a little Slayer worship tossed in every now and then is not going to really break things up enough for me. I will round this down to a 7.5 , which means it is well done for what it is , but what it is might not be different enough for it to appeal to me. You might have much more meat and potato stastes and might not ask as much from death metal in that case you are not going to know any different. Out on Tankcrimes August 28th.

No comments:

Post a Comment