Monday, November 27, 2023

RIP - Kevin Geordie Walker

 



Most people knew Killing Joke's guitarist by his nickname "Geordie" which refers to his North East English accent. He might be the influential guitarist of his time, as his playing ranged from the more aggressive style that would later be called industrial to angular post-punk and more atmospheric passages. He founded Killing Joke with Jaz Coleman in 1979.  The death of the 64-year-old guitarist also signifies the death of the band. The tone from his 1952 hollow body Gibson, would become a signature of the band. While they were forward-thinking to the point of being apocalyptic, Walker's choice of guitar showed his admiration of Elvis guitarist Scotty Moore. 

This influence explains why even at the band's earliest beginnings Killing Joke was never just a punk band. As a student of rock's roots, Walker respected the art of writing memorable songs with melody,  thus often causing him to balance out Coleman's roar, with single-note melodies.His unique playing influenced bands who would go on to create entire sub-genres that can be traced back to their roots in Walker's playing. Bands like Ministry, Metallica,Tool, Neurosis, Turnstile, Fugazi, Helmet, Faith No More, Nirvana, Jane's Addiction, Nine Inch Nails, Godflesh and Marilyn Manson, 

As one of my favorite bands Killing Joke stood alongside Fields of the Nephilim and New Model Army as the last of my bucket list bands. I had considered catching them opening for Tool in 2019, which would have required a trip to North Carolina, but I held wanting to catch them as a headliner. Before this, the stars never aligned as the only chance I think I had to see them before this was in 1994 when they toured with Stabbing Westward, which was during my 'drug years' which I barely remember, though even then I am sure there was a reasonable explanation why I did not go like took to many pills and slept for two days or lost track of what month it was. This leaves me with the legacy he left us, 

No comments:

Post a Comment