Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Göden : "Vale of the Fallen"

 





Stephan Flam of Winter fame is back with a doomy industrial project that features Vas Kallas from Hanzel Und Gretyl. It took me listening to this album through headphones before I realized this was a woman snarling at me. The overall sound pounds in a manner not unlike Author & Punisher, though more organic in that this is not made by machines of their own creation. This is the project's second album and they have things dialed in where they want them here.  The first time we hear what sounds to me like a guitar is on "Urania". The song moves at a similar stomp to the one heard in the previous song. 

At times what is happening here reminds me of Samael. The darker and more deliberate crunch of " Black Vorte" highlights this fact. It grinds safely with already claimed as its sound. The synths are very effective at using the atmosphere to create the intent. "Death Magnus" is another weighty trudging over your eardrums. It does find its own groove. In some ways, this is sonically similar to Godflesh. A minute into "Zero" it feels like they are just droning on the one riff. 

"Manifestation IX" is more of an interlude than a song. "Requiem" is an ambient instrumental where the violin takes the spotlight. They close the album with "Majestic Symphony" which works off a burly bass line. The vocals take on more of a sing-song chant. I will give this an 8.5, it's not the most original thing I have heard, but it does occupy a space I appreciate.Drops May 17th on Svart Records. 


pst200

No comments:

Post a Comment