Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Cosmic Joke : "s/t"

 





Been reviewing more punk this year than normal, I guess everyone got angry enough to start writing music about it. The obvious influence of this band is Bad Religion, but they are also into hardcore and sometimes dance their way into something that has more of a breakdown bounce to it. Backing vocals carry more of a hardcore grit to them than the main vocal which is typically yelled in a purposeful and almost melodic manner. 

By the time I get to the eponymous song, which is one of the album's stronger moments I have already become numbed out by a generic high-energy punk battery. The first song is the only track that breaks the two-minute mark, so these are quick outbursts, though not as spastic as say power-violence. "Leave it Alone" might be one of the album's best songs. It is very to the point but still catchy. 

"Morphine" works for what it is. What it happens to be punk rock in its most basic form, for better or for worse. This is not the manner in which I normally ingest my punk, as I prefer it to be darker, more metallic, or have more sonic layers. This is just what it is. The audience is teenagers who are just getting into punk, a better choice than any of the 90s pop punk, as it is a more honest replica of an era.  I will give this album an 8. I can scratch it off my list of hard core albums to check out.  



pst 189

No comments:

Post a Comment