Friday, April 12, 2024

Haunted Plasma : "I"

 







This Finnish band features members of a guest Oranssi Pazuzu and Grave Pleasures, which was enough to lure me in for a listen, Mat McNerney lends his voice to the opening track , which is also the lead single from this album.  The song broods in the realm of darker synth music but has enough melody in its drone to appeal to me as well as Mat's voice doing what it does. He also sings on the second song "Machines  Like Us" which maintains a similar lyrical theme, while the beat pulses with more of a groove. It proves that you can do this kind of electronic music with a darker sense of songwriting without having to default to being darkwave, and can care about the song. They do not resort to settling with vapid pop hooks. 

There is more of a futuristic synth wave vibe going on with "Spectral Embrace". The robotic drone of the vocals works well and helps to establish the mood they are going for here. "Echoes" is an even more surreal sail through an ocean of shoegazing effects. I often reference sound vs songs, and here is an interesting study in that. They have as long here but are buried in the sounds. It is not that they do not care about the song they just pile on the tools they are using to create it and things get lost in the motion. 

The eponymous track that closes the album is a 12-minute sprawl. It is a song that shows Kraut Rock does not have to forsake it's drone in order to have motion and be interesting. It does not have to be just holding a synth chord for two minutes before modulating. Even though it is not my thing, in regard to the kind of music I would play when I am getting ready to start my day, I appreciate what is being done here nad understand the value of it. Not the kind of music you are quick to associate with Finland, but the album works to capture the mood they intended. I will give it a 9. Drops on Svart Records May 31st. 





pst174

No comments:

Post a Comment