Friday, August 21, 2020

Sprain : "As Lost Thought Through Collision"






This could be called many things. Art punk the tag being brandished now. Less punk and moe like the indie rock college radio played in the 90s , though this has more of an edge to it. It has many sides as it's also dissonant math rock with a melodic spirit. Not conventional in terms of hooks and song writing but enodwed with a charm of it own. I miss this kind of thing. In some way it reminds me of King Missle. More abrasive. Slow core is another sub genre that could apply., When I think of that however I think of Low, and this is more intense and lingering rather than wallowing in that kind of mood. They are slow and minimal on "My Way Out " , but the punch out sonically from this in a very dynamic fashion.

"Worship House" is not punk, but it has momentum. I like where this song goes as they are not working off formulas.The vocals eventually becomed screamed and the song goes into chaos. Then they go back to a more aggitated version of their normal state. I sometimes complain about noise. That does not mean I think it's not a useful tool as these guys prove they can paint well with it. The bass gives "Everything" a plainitive groove. They have a grungy recklessness to how they beat their instruments and explode into angry sections. Things actually get heavy in a more sludge manner by the end of the song. In this 15 minute song they manage to batter you in a much heavier manner than you ever saw coming. Some of the droning feed back after the nine minute mark could have been trimmed back


The last song 'Constant Hum" does have a grunge tinge to the way it snarls. The downtrodden mood has a Nirvana feel to it. These guys and girl really surprised me I like them much more than I thought I would. The album grew on me. It is one of those albums I cna leave on an let play even with all the abrasive elements in play. I will give this album a 9, it appears the Flenser did it again and continues to have a stable of bands that are uniquely cut from a different mold.

No comments:

Post a Comment