I like the brand of pop music these guys craft. This is their full-length, so fans, or "citizens, " as the band refers to them in their universe, might be curious to see how they pull off a full 10 songs. They open this album with the lead single "Angel Wings," which plays it pretty safe. And "Doom Loop" incorporates more electronic elements and builds things into a more nu-metal-tinged, loud dynamic. I wouldn't call this aggressive, as I am not feeling that kind of energy from them. There is a more metallic crunch leading into "dark heaven" but this is quickly offset by trap elements. The hook is pretty strong in this one.It does carry that anthemic Myspace feel.
They try to get a little rowdier on"Pink Noise," but their electronic pop side feels more authentic rather than than they are trying to live up to their marketing scheme. At times it makes me think of 30 Seconds to Mars, "Mercy" was apparently another single from this album, but I never heard any of these songs before listening to the album as a whole; it kind of feels like a Deftones power ballad. There is a raspier tone in his singing voice in places on this album. You can tell he takes influence from a few different singers from the 90s. This song is pretty well written, and they sell me on it. I think if this album were darker, it would not lean so heavilly in the pop direction.
"Sleepwalker" is more of a mainstream, middle-of-the-road, radio-ready pop-rock song that kinda bores me. The drumming helps to shift the groove and modulate it in places and salavages the song from being too bland..Production-wise, there is more of a djent sound than where they go sonically. "Dionysus" could be Post Malone when it comes to the first verse; the chorus is more Breaking Benjamin. But at least it's hooky. They go pop ballad on "This Will Divide Us". The vocals are layered more like Sleep Token. Of course the band calls these comparisons lazy, but it's not as lazy as sounding like another band.
"Hate Figure" features Ando San helping them out. This makes things sound much more nu-metal with the hip-hop elements dialed up. "White Devil" closes the album. It is another pop song, with intersting keyboards. This album sounds great, even though it might be more accessible than the previous EP, I think they pull off the full length well by showing a balanced picture of who they are, and the songs grew on me even though I went skeptical. I will give it a 9.5.
\\\
\\\
pst413

No comments:
Post a Comment