It makes sense these guys are as weird as they do metal. I reviewedtheir2023 album and liked it so much it earned a 9, putting them at the top of the heap when it comes to deathly thrash. The opening track feels more like death metal, though a few moshy riffs come in. They are taking influence from two genres known for being fast, so you better wear your seat belts. "Hungry Ghosts" is more rooted in the deliberate riff worship of thrash, and is written with more nuance than the first song. I like the robotic vocals thrown in as accents. The fast parts that do arrive are balanced by riffs with more hooks.
The title track gets caught up in speed. This might make you wonder why I listen to so many extreme metal bands if I don't like fast playing.It is all about balance and not rushing the song. The title track seems to be about vampires, which goes against the normal sci-fi themes. "Alloyed" finds a more sci-fi feel back in place and a rock vibe in the verse riff."Proprioceptor" finds things getting weird and technical with an angular curvature to the riffs. This feels more like death metal.
"Neon Metropolis" feels like old Megadeth from a guitar perspective. The robo-vocals return for this song. The last two songs focus more on the technical side of speed metal, with the only grooves surfacing on the last song. When I left this album just playing as I went about my day, it did grow on me, so for that reason I will give it a 9. If you liked the previous album, things have not changed, though this one might be faster.
No comments:
Post a Comment