This band from Finland was not what I expected going into this. The album opens with more of a rock dynamic; sure, there are dreamy elements, but it is more along the lines of bands like Rezn and Superheaven, at times even some of Mastodon's more recent melodic moments, especially now that they have a keyboardist who is adding more proggy elements, which this band shares, and since I have been listening to the new Mastodon a great deal I had to check to see if it was still playing in iTunes. The drumming is pretty dynamic but not as bombastic as Brann. I don't think these guys have a metal past as much as a post-hardcore thing going on I can hear them being into bands like Failure.
There is uniformity to what they do despite a song like "Velvet Rain' standing out due to the more languid pace it opens with. This is more space-rock than shoe-gaze. "Lost in Sound, Found in Color" finds a Pink Floyd-like tag being set but is the first moment I would call psychedelic, and even then it's only the intro as there is more of a stoner rock verse. The vocals are a smooth croon that begin to coast with more melodic grace on this one. At times it makes me think of Bryan Ferry. Some prog tendencies begin to further surface.
A thicker, more fuzzed-out 70s Orange Amp tone rumbles up going into "Welcome to Another Dimension" , but they float back out into the cosmos once it reaches the verse. The song does take an oddly interesting turn. They keep you guessing, though the last song kinda wanders around in zero gravity with little direction. There are also other moments where the ambiance takes over, but overall this is a good mood to dive into with your ears first; I will give this album a 9. It drops on Metal Blade.
No comments:
Post a Comment