Pages

Friday, August 28, 2026

The Warning : " Everything's Falling"


 This trio of Mexican sisters was said to be an influence on the band Freeze the Fall when I interviewed them, so I decided to give them a chance. They have a lot going for them in that they write hooky rock songs. It's big production, riding the line between hard rock and pop. Things get more blurred in that regard on the second song, "Perfect Daughter". The vocals are really well produced.  The title track is a little more of a power ballad as it explodes on the chorus. They lean in a nu-metal direction in terms of the way dynamics are used but have more of an organic rock feel, with none of the hip-hop trappings. The chorus on this one is perhaps too eager to rub shoulders with other radio rock hits.

Lyrically, I think Freeze the Fall is better in their more abstract approach, while this has more of the Avril Lavigne biitching about my boyfriend vibe. This is highlighted on "Why Do You Like It When I Cry' that finds stupid lyrics working against the solid groove. Yeah, I know this is more of a commercial-based band than what I normally review, but I review bands as big as the Rolling Stones and Taylor Swift, so I am not opposed to that sort of thing. The lead singer is 26, so you would think she should have outgrown that sort of thing. 

"Bit My Tongue crossed over into nu-metal from a production standpoint at least. The vocals have more pop intentions to them. "Kill or Be Killed" is more straightforward rock. The drummer leans into grooves that play to their favor. Lyrically, this is not one of the best moments. They use their native tongue on 'Ego," which is another song elevated by the grooving drumming. I appreciate the popsmarts injected into this one. It is also the first to have a few measures of screamed vocals. The almsot get dancey from the grooves of "Nloodsport".  They bring the energy down to a tense strum with "Break," which is a needed dynamic shift, and gives her vocals more room to breathe. I  can even forgive the overly anthemic production on the chorus. 

Pop dynamics wrestle with nu-metal guitar tendencies, putting them closer to Muse in some ways.'Waste Your Time on Me" finds an electronic drum beat shifting into a more organic approach. But the mood of the song is too close to poppunk for me. As the lead single "Kerosene" was their calling card for this album. I think they have better songs on the front end of the album. I  will give this album a 9 and see how it grows on me. If you are a fan and want them to go in a poppier direction, then this labum is what you hoped for. 



pst396

No comments:

Post a Comment