The first thing I notice about the opening track to their new album is how the vocals have improved. More sung sections, along with harsh counterpoint. I also appreciate the darker tension lurking in the mood. Not as sludge-flavored as 20024's "Cool World" album, which took the number two spot on that year's Top 10 Sludge albums. Creepier than the Jesus Lizard but with a similar vibe. You can hear this on "Deep Blue," which falls somewhere between noise rock and grunge. They have always been great at capturing the color of feeling unhinged, and this album continues that tradition. They hammer at you harder as "Deep Blue" progresses, though I am reluctant to call this a metal album; however, I am only two songs in.
"Same Rules" is more introspective that what you might expect from them. I like the mood here, and just wnat good songs, as I am not invested in these guys being heavy; if this was the new Watain, then we might have a problem. They are growing at what they do here. "Pen is Mall" is more pounding, with the vocals stepping up into a more aggressive snarl. The thump of the bass brings back the ghost of nu-metal that has haunted this band before. The noise rock side can be heard in the angular, ugly nature of how they engage this anger. The theme of this album is how the decay of society is due to collective apathy, so this might be why it is less confrontational, though they roar pretty furiously on "Shrine".
"Oddly," there is almost a funky groove to the jangle of "Intruder", that is contrasted by the more explosive sections of the song. I like the lyrics that someone told him this house needs haunting. "Christabel 26" moves off a bass line that reminds me of Rollins Band. The howl of the vocals also works with this influence. The moredetached spoken vocals hold more in common with King Missile. There is also a depressed Nirvana feel to this one. The ugly angular noise throb continues on "Influence"; there is a similar tension as "Bleach" era Nirvana. This collides against the Jesus Lizard-like tension.
"Family Funeral" slows the pound down. There is a dissonance to it that falls much clsoer to the bounds of noise rock. A spoken vocal mutters under the burly bassline. The vocals build into a tortured question of where the fuck is he supposed to go. The last song has to sound creepy, as it is called "October All of the Time," which is how I feel this time of year.It is more of a grunge ballad. I will give this album the10 as it deserves. If this is not the album that breaks them into an even larger audience, it might not be happening and they cango back to being indie darlings. Regardless, they are creepier and more melodic, showing a great deal of growth, making this their best effort yet.
8

No comments:
Post a Comment