The internet can be clueless; I found this project as I was looking for albums considered to be the year's best industrial. There is nothing industrial about it; it's like an experimental sound bath of Brum n Bass. I do not review a ton of electronic music here, because a great deal of it sounds the same, and it is hard to dig into such a vast genre. The drums in the second song do not vary wildly from the first, leaving a short dynamic range that is contingent on the other ambiance they build around it.
Another problem for electronic music can be that the bar is low, and much like other genres, you can focus to much on capturing a sound and not enough emphasis on writing a song; it jsut happens that since this field of music is not focused on actual instruments, the sounds are the bread and butter, with little to hook you in or make it more meorable. Here I thought I was on the second song already, but it turns out. I was still listening to the first song. The beat does shift on the second song, but there is little in terms of hooks. By the time we get to "Velvet Sundown," it is clearly just jungle; not sure how this could be confused with industrial, but that is the world we live in. This persists but with a more droning atmosphere on "Euinox.", If this were a club and chemicals were involved, then it would be an easier listen, but seven and a half minutes of it at home is tedious.
Here lies the problem with this sort of thing: most of its audience listens to it as a soundtrack for partying, but music should sound good even if you are not on drugs; this is coming from someone one who calls Pink Floyd one of his favorite bands. coming. It is not a matter of opinion or taste as decades later Pink Floyd still sounds good, and something like a faceless electronic artist is subject to the laws of changing technology. "Hate Hurts" shifts sounds some lo-fi, some bigger than others, and more ofa a breakbeat in motion. Once more, and not to sound likea broken record, but it's all sound little in the way of a memorable song. Yes, there are some samples to color, but six songs in, it starts feeling like noise.
This sort of thing sounds like a drum set is being thrown down the stairs and recorded, with flange later applied to the recording. "Algorithm " is more melodic, but works in a more atmospheric than groove oriented approached. It is hard for fans of this thing to mount much of a defense for it because htey are typically on drugs. "So utter something like it's just not your vibe man, " which, considering the range of electronic music I have covered, is not always true; it just hass to be arranged in a more song-oriented fashion. DJ Shadow, Infected Mushroom, and Shpongle can do it. This evolved into something I simply had to endure; I am open to mroe electronic artists if you know of better ones, let me know. I will give this one a 7, as it is well done for what it is I am not a fan of what it is, so this score is based on whether you are looking for this sort of thing.

No comments:
Post a Comment