Ok death rock out of Texas. Well, considering the fact that I am reviewing every Christian Death album this month, it almsot seems silly to review an album by a band trying to sound like Christian Death. Though it does turn a more critical ear toward this sort of thing, as I have been absorbing all the nuance of Christian Death, which is what none of these bands really pick up on.I would say of all the Christian Death worshippers, Astarie Nite and Swan Wash are the best at following this path of sorrows, as they bring more of themselves to the equation.
These kids get the punk thing but are approaching it with a Valor Kand late 90s style of sonics. Most bands use the more organic formula, but these guys are doing it this way. They are alittle catchier on "Death Sneaks off to Rot" and the female backing vocals help. There is amore metallic chug to "Divinity Damned", they are going with similar lyrical explorations as their idols. This song needed mroe tightening before they went into the studio, but some decent ideas are buried in here. With the death rock revival, you are in a rock and a hard place, as you want more new bands to come into the scene to keep it alive, but you also don't want it diluted by recycling influences.
I like the more depressing atmosphere that takes 'Dry Pressed Lamentations' in an almsot doomy direction. The female vocals should do more if not even go as far as split the duties evenly so the bone is not being so pointed at them. They cover Blue Cross' 'I Am Death' to prove they do know more death rock bands than just Christian Death; I think covering Alcest or even TSOL would have been a better idea or even TSOL. I will give this album an 8.5; it's a decent attempt at keeping the genre alive.

No comments:
Post a Comment