For some reason, it was in my head that this duo was doomed, but after pressing play, I realized how mistaken I was. The reason for this being doomed might be easier to pull off with only two people; what does work here is an experimental form of high-velocity death metal that requires many overdubs. Most of the song hangs around the four- to five-minute mark, but they are cramming a great deal of chaos into that time frame. The second song really sounds no different than the first aside from a few weird jazzy breaks that sound like if Cynic smoked DMT.
The grinding riffage they favor descended from the Morbid Angel school with slight hints of Carcass, though shifting in the riff more than either. More blast than both as well. This need for rabid speed can take away from the song, as things just become a blur. To the point that it begins to bore me in place. I like how brutal they are and the fact it's not just one long blast beat, but the songwriting is lacking; they confused arrangements with writing songs worth listening to again with memorable vocal hooks that bands like Morbid Angel and Carcass both apply. So it is not like I am asking them to become pop music. Memorable songs should be the goal regardless of genre.
I only knew the song had changed to "Biohybrid Virulence" due to the fact I looked up at my computer, but the guitar player gets the point I was trying to make about catchy songs, as they at least make that much of an effort.I just left this album on as I typed up my review of the new Evil Dead movie, and it faded into the background, becoming a blur of winding riffs. "Polymorphic Gnaw' is more memorable as it swirls with cosmic atmosphere and the bass wanders off into a jazzy jam while a Frank Zappa inspired riffs fughts for its life against the blast beats. This might make it the best song on the album.
Death metal drums are supposed to be balls to the wall, but this guy needs to anchor things more than he does on the bulk of the album, beign to quick to default to a blast beat when the guitars are doing something more interesting. The title track is not too memorable. The last song trips over it's blast beaten chaos at times. The deliberate punchy riff in it is not played enough. The jazz section is a nice touch but almost too little too late. I will give this album an 8, as it's not my thing, but I at least appreciate the intensity and chops they have; fans of extreme tech death might find it to their liking.Coming out on Willotip Records.

No comments:
Post a Comment