Perhaps it's the mood being set by the first trickle of Halloween things into stores that has me on a goth kick, but that is where we are at bringing me to this Swedish project The first track is a more abstract intro to set the mood, but I like that it blends a few different dark sounds; the first actual song, "Infernal Motions," is more of the typical sound you would expect from a dark wave band. The beat is up-tempo, and synths drive it while low baritone vocals croak likea vampire with a sense of drama. "Half of a Double Giving Birth" is an odd song title. The beat has some movement to it that is effective, even if the drum programming sounds a little dated; perhaps that is the point. The vocals are well produced.
I like the lbend of futuristic industiral sounds used over the post-punk songwriting template thansk to the emotive vocals; at times this sounds like Gary Numan."Blood On My Face" returns to the more conventional take on the genre, but there is a slight Pet Shop Boys vibe haunting it. Some of the brighter synth notes make it not as effective as the previous songs. I can imagine "Draconian Pulse" getting a dance floor churning with its pulse-racing tempo.
The beat to "Nex Animae" feels like it could have been created by AI as it's cinematic yet color-by-numbers."Meglomania" finds the beat starting to lack dynamic contrast, leaving the vocals to carry the weight. "Into the Whispering Sun" is a little darker, but it's hard for me to shake the AI thing once I hear it. The last song is more of an ambient outro. I will give this album a 9. I like the elements it combines.

No comments:
Post a Comment