Tuesday, November 21, 2023

DJ Shadow : "Action Adventure"







 The 7th album since his groundbreaking 1996 debut. Granted the last album I  listened to was 2006's "The Outsider". In the past 17 years, a great deal has changed in electronic music. So when I pressed play I should have prepared myself to not be picking up where I left off with him. The opening track is the kind of retro synth wave stuff that became popular in the wake of the Stranger Things retro age. It took the second song to make me feel more reassured as the hip-hop influence returned. What I like about Davis is how he is very invested in writing songs, not just pushing buttons and making sounds. He also creates a darker atmosphere driven by hip-hop beats, putting him in a similar sonic space as Massive Attack at  times 

With this album, he claims his producer challenged him to make music that flexed different energies. I can hear that concept at work, though "Time and Space" is fairly restrained and offers less experimentation than what I expect from him. The next song that really grabs me is "Witches vs Warlocks" . "A Narrow Escape" also moves compellingly.  I prefer the previous song since it's darker and this one is almost too happy, but it works for what it is. "You Played Me" is the sole vocal-focused song, and feels more like run-of-the-mill neo-soul with a slight 80s flare. 

"Free For All " has more of a rock feel, though the electronic drum programming weaves its way further in as the song progresses. "the Prophecy" is more ambient, and seems focused more on sounds than being a song despite the fact he does modulate the music. "Friend or Foe" is not far removed from the same kind of free-flowing minimal arrangement. The beats are not as dominant as his earlier work, The meandering piano of "Fleeting Yout" dabbles in the kind of ambiance he has worked with in the past though feels less inspired when put in the context of the album as a whole. 

"Reflecting Pool" has a sparse choppy beat that does not carry the punch of beats he has used more effectively on this album, until two minutes into the song when things take a turn and build momentum. Though it ebbs into a more chilled-out synth section. "Forever Changed' sounds like something that would have been a good collab with Underworld as they would have developed it more into a song, as it needs the kind of vocals they employ. While "She's Evolving" is not what I would think would come from a DJ Shadow album it is well-written and an effective song, that takes you on a journey. I am going to give this album an 8.5, it's well done for what it is , just not what I personally want from him , but get where he is going and appreciate that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment