Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Ohpen Ahrms : Lying Beside You"

 




This Chicago band sits more on the progressive rock side of the fence than their shoegaze beginnings might lead you to expect. "Lying Beside" finds the guitar carrying a more punk-influenced indie jangle. The vocals ride the riff rather than trying to form hooks on their own.  It reminds me of if Ghost tried to play like Devo. Saxophones join into the taunt syncopation of "Make Me a Ghost". The drumming is more impressive than the somewhat heavier "Spun in the Dark", but these got a lot going on almost to the detriment of their songwriting. 

It's going into "Don't Look For Me There" that I needed the shift. Everything had been grandiose with layers of overdubs. It was a big sound for sure, and while they bust back into it on this song's chorus, they also gave the vocals room to find a more contemplative mood in the verse leading up to this. It's all about dynamic ebb and flow. I am not sold on the multi-tracked vocals that just kind of drift, and the overall sound is not as dark as what I normally listen to. To their credit, they are doing prog rock in a different way than just long winding songs that are an excuse to squeeze guitar solos in. The actual guitar solos are far and few between. There is a heavier side to this band but the production is downplaying this fact. 

"Drawing Fire" has a little more stoner rock swagger. The vocal harmonies feel more grunge-like. I had to listen to "Night Vision" three times before it kept my attention. It has a harder rock edge to it. By the last song, it's apparent this kind of melodramatic, overproduced prog rock is not my thing, in that it's not as dark or aggressive as I like my music which means I have to come from the place of how is this constructed and written. It could use a few more hooks, as no matter how grandiose you want to get there needs to be something to bring you back to the song. Aside from that key element, they are talented just not my thing I will give this album an 8. If you are into bright bombastic prog rock then it might be yours. 


pst106

No comments:

Post a Comment