Friday, March 15, 2024

NEST : " Endeavors"

 





The fourth album for the St Louis-based project helmed by John Jarvis from Agrophobic Nosebless and Scour. I was two songs in when I figured out this was a one-man band. Since he is in Scour, relating records on House Core only makes sense. The drums could stand to have a more organic sound. At times this creates an almost Godflesh-like ambiance, which is heavily factored into the mood of "Burn Clean" which has some shoe-gazing tendencies, while the vocal still scowl with a breath deal of malice over the proceedings. 

This music's inorganic qualities can be its strength and weakness, as I am not as sold on what might be a grindcore vibe on "Ripe". It sounds more like an actual drum kit might be played for "Fickle" which gives the punk-minded attack of the song more validity. Though if these are still programmed drums I am fine with them as long as I can't tell they are not real drums. The guitar sound is less dense than what we have heard on albums of his former projects, though he was playing bass on those. Things linger a little more on the mood when it comes to "Concept". I appreciate the sonic space it is trying to capture, but the execution is a little wanting. 

"What's the Issue" starts off with a feral snarl and then goes off into its own thing. The drums on the last song sound more programmed as they lack the bass kicking you in the chest. At times there are fills that make me think this could be real drums., so the very fact confusion is being bred in this regard speaks to the ability to blur these lines. I will give this album a 7.5, it's not what I hoped it would be but it does occupy its own unique space and I appreciate what they are going for. 


pst123

No comments:

Post a Comment