Thursday, May 9, 2024

RIP - Steve Albini









I've always considered Steve Albini a punk rock Frank Zappa, though noise was his weird. To normal joes, I explain him as the dude who produced "In Utero ". My first inclination I would almost be inclined to tell you I appreciate him more as a musician than a producer than I remember I really like the Neurosis albums he produced so then I would have to retract that statement. I think what his death will take from this world the most is his willingness to speak his mind and voice opinions that challenge mainstream thought. He would come out and explain his dislike for dance music in a manner that got the point across without apologizing for his disdain. In the days of people shouting gatekeeper like it's a negative connotation, instead of what it is quality control, we need more Steve Albini's in this world. 

Here's a list of the albums Albini produced that matter here at Abysmal Hymans

Pixies - "Surfer Rosa" 
the Jesus Lizard - "Pure", "Head", "Goat", "Liar" , "Down"
Pigface- "Gub" 
Helmet- "Meantime" 
Fugazi- "In On the Killtaker" 
PJ Harvey- "Rid of Me" 
Nirvana- "In Utero" 
Burning Witch- "Towers" 
Neurosis - "Times of Grace", "A Sun that Never Sets" , the Eye of Every Storm", 'Given to the Rising" , "Honor Found in Decay" , "Fires With Fires" 
Bloodlet-"Three Humid Nights in Cypress Trees" 
Leftover Crack- "Fuck World Trade" 
Made Out of Babies- "Coward"
Trash Talk- "s/t" 
Ebsend and the Witch- "New Nature"
METZ - "Strange Peace" 
Code Orange- "the Above" 


and if you have never checked out his music this is a good place to start

 

pst222

No comments:

Post a Comment