Tuesday, September 12, 2023

dust : "et cetera, etc"








Catching up with punk I might have missed earlier in the year. This band from Australia released this one back in March and it kicks out the jams with jangly punk energy that still focuses on songwriting. There are enough tense and melodic moments to cross over into more post-punk audiences. There are varied vocal expressions, and it makes me think of Bloc Party if they were not influenced by Gang of Four and had a more aggressive raw edge. "Alternator" finds them getting progressively punchier with each song. The herky jerky manner they attack you with should transition well live, which sounds like where these lads excel. 

After a jazzy interlude, the come back with the smoother proto-punk attitude of "Ward 52" which owes more to rock bands like the Clash, when it comes to giving the vocals the proper emphasis. Even with this they do sit back in the mix, so it's far from pop pandering. "False Narrative" finds itself locked into a more carefree bounce. The vocals are more deadpan than they have been for the bulk of the album. I appreciate the sonic buzz of the guitars, but the vocals could be more engaging in the verses. They come close to a croon at what would amount to the chorus. 

Where they meet expectations, they exceed them on the last song "Joy" .  Moodier in the way the guitar handles the melody, it sets the stage for the album's best lyrical exploration. There is something very honest and real, just when I assumed these young punks were just thick-headed and brash. When trying to score this album, I had to consider how driven would I be to buy it? Listening to it on Bandcamp is fine, but to I feel compelled with no pause to own it?  I have a ton of albums I already do not have time to listen to, so I might not, but then again Young Man's punk is not normally my game, with some noted exceptions like Birds in Row and High Vis. So I will give this album a 9, it sounds great and is really well done. 




et cetera, etc by dust

No comments:

Post a Comment