Thursday, April 26, 2012

Sheep in wolves clothing...

...should still be slaughtered.

I just deleted an album I was about to review by a band called 7 Horns 7Eyes after finding out they are a christian band. While they do play a very melodic and somewhat technical brand of death metal sometimes along the lines of older Meshuggah, there was something missing from the music which diminished it heaviness and kept it from being dark despite the atmosphere. Now I know. I take offense at Metal Sucks for purposefully suppressing this, I inquired with the site as to why this occurred though I suspect the label was trying to sneak that fact past the mainstream metal audience . 

I  can't personally compromise my writing to condone christian metal,  because of ...
1. my own personal beliefs which I only elude to, so I feel out of the same respect I give not preach my faith , the same consideration should be given to me from christians, hindus, whomever , though it should be noted christians are notorious proselytizers.I  myself don't feel the need to grand stand or defend my belief system because I'm secure in, those who feel the need too constantly defend and their debate are only trying to convince themselves.
2- this blog is called Abysmal Hymns...so my mission statement is to cover heavy and dark, I will let something like Swans slide by because even though they aren't heavy in the metal sense they are more than dark enough to make the cut and you better believe Dead Can Dance's show will also be reviewed on here. So we are looking for those who sing into the abyss, if that current isn't your thing you don't have to read this. After all it is MY blog so I produce it as i see fit you don't like it ...fuck you, it's not up for debate.

I am I saying Christians shouldn't make metal...well I suppose if you are playing the neutral ground and look at the whole thing like you are just making the musical equivalent of horror movie , then thats fine as long as you aren't being vocal about your beliefs , the challenge is can you "fake the funk" so to speak. Dave Mustaine can't and every Megadeth album after "rust in peace" has felt thin. Yes count down to extinction I'm looking at you. However Tom from Slayer can scream ...god hates us all with conviction, but he's catholic and do they even count? Kinda like being Jewish you are born into the ritual of it, they practice but how much o it do they believe? And can't say many catholics have preaced to me on the train.
so needless to say don't wait around for reviews of  Demon Hunter or Living Sacrafice either.

No comments:

Post a Comment