In March of 1982, one of the most important goth albums ever was released. I don't think I was turned on to it until 89, and I couldn't stop listening to it, even though it came from artists like Bowie and The Jesus andd Mary Chain; all I listened to was metal. They don't open the album fast and furiously like a punk band would, but with a more macabre pulse. Rozz Williams trembling croon and poetic lyrics are different than anything I had heard before, granted I had not listened to a great deal of the Doors at the time. There is more groove to "Figurative Theater"; his vocal delivery becomes punchier on the chorus.
Rikk Agnew, who came from a punk background, experiments more on "Burnt Offerings"; you can hear who they influenced bands like Jane's Addiction here. The lyrics are more homo erotic. In a Burroughs-like fashion. This was next-level transgressive shit for the 80s. The blasphemous lyrics are wonderful. This open rejection of organized religion in a reconciliation with his sexuality is not only hinted at in the lyrics but establishes the use of this iconography in the genre as a whole while opening the door for modern non-goth artists like Ehtel Cain to employ similar devices.
"Dream For Mother" is a more angular stab at punk and perhaps not as far removed as the previous song from that past. "Stairs Uncertain Journey" might be the album's best song, as the B Aeolian Mode scale creates the Middle Eastern slither that creates the eerie atmosphere that some of Williams' best lyrics flow over. "Spiritual Cramp" contrasts the previous song by being a pretty straight-up punk anthem. Romeo's Distress" is their most infamous song and one of their best, as it shows how they evolved from punk to create goth in this form.
"Resurrection" is another song that has a creepy, angular pulse too. They are great at building tension on the chorus. "Prayer" closes the album and gives a glimpse into some of the experimentation to come from this band. It's more of a n outro than an actual song. I will give this album the rare 11, as it redefined goth music.
No comments:
Post a Comment