Friday, March 8, 2013

Pissed Jeans ;" Honeys"


O.k don't worry I downloaded a shit ton of new Metal to hit up this week so we will be getting back to real metal here soon enough, I do think thes guys will appeal to metal head as they have a dirty sludge ruckus to their sound and are heavy more often than not and this for what I have heard so far is more than likely going to whet the appetite created by what Kvelertak's newest might fail to deliever just with out the blues fetish.

Pissed Jeans hails from Allentown Penn, not what you would consider to be the hot bed for punk rock in fact I would think the bue collar city would be more partial to Bruce Springsteen and John Cougarmallcamp, but the hard working non sense approach this band takes heeds the call of what I ask for From punk this is what I want , in some ways this album reminds me of Rollins band End of Silence if recorded by angry misanthropic drunks . Sure it might not be the definition of pure punk and it had dirty metal leanings like the Jesus Lizard influence dripping from the sludge fest that is "Chain worker" , but there are lots of tight in and out gang bangs from these guys that are a mix of Black Flag and Fear to offset the metal in some of the delivery which is some of the tight playing and error detail that is not found in punk.

The fuzzed bass that rumbles up from the albums opener "Bathroom Laughter" takes the wheel like Motörhead driving Fear off of a cliff. I think its moments like these bring us back to what i mentioned are these are the sort of riff fans might embrace this in the same way they embraced Kvelertak and from what I have heard in rumblings online about their new album Pissed Jeans might be taking their place as the punk influenced bands for the modern Hesher. For some reason the Vocal delivery on this one reminds me of a faster version of D.I's "Richard Hung Himself".

"Chain Worker" is similar in feel to listening to Lard while drinking on pills. There is no question these guys have just as many Melvin's albums as they do Black Flag. The rant over these tortured chords is some type of social statement as are the he bulk if not all of the albums lyrics. The inner Rollins comes on strong in "Romanticize me" it's snarly scorned middle finger that runs a title over two minutes. The songs are certainly punk in the short and too the point punch lines. The vocal delivery is more Black Flag on " Vain in Costume". The bass player is certainly getting the job done and then some which is another factor that gives this the same kind of Sinew found on the first couple Rollins band albums in the nineties. Which after listening to this album I find myself tempted to go back and revisit just to see how they have held over time.

I think the playing is so competent it keeps this album for ever really reaching true punk . Not that there's anything wrong with this akin fact I prefer it as what passes as real punk tends be pretty poorly executed musically. "You're Different in Person" snarls into amd swell out of an angular riff which reminds me a little of Mudhoney and the ghosts of the nineties keep haunting the chapel here as I hear Butthole Surfers in the song " Cafeteria Food" which has very deadpan almost sung vocals narrating a social commentary .

The Rollins tribute continues on "Male Gaze" the guitar is pretty competent here's is sways like a drunken ballet around the tag team assault of the bass and drums. The vocals take on such a Rollins like tone, it not only is imitation is the sincere flattery here but is a distraction until he goes into more of the spoken vocals tht have a little more apathy in them than Hank would tolerate. The punkier side returns on "Cathouse" a very straightforward song with almost a rock n roll shimmy to it.

"Loubs" has an almost southern lumber to it and the vocals go in more of a Gabby Haynes direction, as they are more than shouted in the beefy manner they are delievered most of the time, the boogie that sets in get even to the Queens of the Stonage neighborhood. "Health Plan" hammers Obama care with the chant " you wanna know my secret/ I stay away from doctors" the message deliever with conviction enough to sell me on the song. " Teenage Age Adult" wrapps things up with a sludgey rumble on the Rollins rant we have gotten earlier on the album, though the more I listen to this song the more I can hear old Corrosion of Conformity in it. I'll go ahead and give this album and eight if you love nineties post hardcore then round it up, not that I don't I think the influences are just worn so brazenly on their sleeves it makes me want to go to the source material , but it's an album that I can listen to with little effort repeatedly and would recommend to my punk friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment